Approximately 3 years ago, I was lucky enough to receive an email asking if I would like to author a grilled cheese cookbook. I didn’t know it then, but at that exact moment, when I was checking my email, my life changed. My life forever changed. That particular email set into motion everything that has happened up until this day and everything that will happen in the future.
- I created a grilled cheese cookbook, with 100-original recipes, in just a few months. Creating, cooking and photographing all sandwiches. With the enormous help of my sous chef/cleaning crew.
- I had a local cookbook signing celebrating the launch of my book, with great friends and family driving in specifically for the event.
- I left my full-time job and consistent paycheck to spend time promoting an unknown, my cookbook.
- I traveled to NYC, DC and West Virginia specifically to promote my cookbook.
- I had appearances at a local market, local bookstores, Whole Foods and The Greenbrier.
- I was on television for the first (and second) time ever. I was on the radio, satellite radio specifically, for the first (and second and third) time ever.
- I learned so much about myself while also having a blast meeting various people, all while talking about the simple grilled cheese sandwich.
- I somehow used my interest and love of grilled cheese to woo a girl that I will eventually ask to be my wife. (But don’t tell her, it’s a secret.)
And all that simply happened under Phase 1.
Now, it is time to move on to Phase 2.
Ever since I had issues finding Ohio cheeses for my “Local Lunch” series at my blog grilledshane.com, my mind has been working overtime. My mind has been wondering why is it so hard to find local/Ohio cheeses in Cleveland? Why aren’t there any good, gourmet cheese shops in Cleveland? The Cleveland food scene is exploding. The city of Cleveland is exploding. I love the city of Cleveland. This city needs a cheese shop.
I have been speaking to many different Ohio cheese makers. Getting to know them. Getting to know their story. Falling in love with their products.
I have been investigating the cheese shop as a business.
I plan to open a cheese shop.
I plan to open a cheese shop that features the growing number of amazing Ohio cheeses, in addition to some other domestic/international cheeses.
I plan to open a cheese shop that features other Cleveland and Ohio products.
I plan to open the cheese shop in Cleveland.
With all that being said, and my dreams out there for everyone to read, this is a plan. I am in the early stages of this project. I still need to find a location. I still need to find funding. (Kickstarter? Possibly. Stay tuned.) I still need to put this in motion. But, in 2015, it is my goal and dream to truly begin opening my cheese shop in this city, Cleveland, that I call home. I hope you will join me on this journey, reading updates and helping however you can. Thank you.
locavoreCLE.com is the hub of information regarding the shop, including the location search as well as product and crowd funding updates. With that being said, the shop is on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, where I will be posting on a regular basis.